Tests Xsd

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 18, 2006 at 1:32 PM
Do you think it would be possible to distribute a xsd with the schema of the test xml definitions? this would make hand-building of xml test cases much simpler, in vs2005.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2006 at 9:44 PM
Hi, Yes, this should be possible. I'll put it on the list. Actually one of my colleagues wrote a simple web app that has all the Xml for the steps and you can choose the steps you want and it puts the Xml into a text box so you can build up the entire test script. Its not very sophisticated but it gets the job done and we can add that to the solution if you think that would be useful. We are looking into other user friendly GUI options as well, but this could be a interim tool.

cheers,
benjy
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2006 at 6:08 PM
Hi, This is a followup question.

Did you mean Test XSD as in something to validate your steps or just a file with all the step xml to use in building new tests? The latter is easy to provide, the former isnt because each step can actually have ANY body and only the name of the step inside the attribute tells you what should be added.

There is also the possibility of a "middle ground" XSD just showing which elements are optional and which are mandatory.

Do let me know which one you are thinking of.

cheers
benjy
Dec 26, 2006 at 7:43 PM
Hello Benjy,

I was thinking of the xsd schema of the step definition file, so that I can associate it with the document in VS2005 and use intelisense/autocompletion in the xml.
But the problem is obvious, you are right.

Any of the alternatives you mention are good enough.
Coordinator
Dec 27, 2006 at 3:59 PM
Hi,
Ok, i will get to work on the sample XML to start with and then work on the XSD.

cheers
benjy